The BEST Paleo Brownies (Egg-Free, Grain-Free, Nut-Free, Low-Sugar)
For many people, few things come close to the enjoyment of a good brownie.
With their chewy-crisp edges and gooey chocolaty center, even restrained food lovers have difficulty resisting indulging in a few (or the whole pan!) from time to time.
Unfortunately, what makes GOOD brownies so delicious is their high starch and sugar content. It is baking chemistry at its finest as the sugar caramelizes, the edges pull away and the top gets its golden-crackly sheen.
But oh, the aftermath! Not only will the high sugar and starch content send your blood sugar soaring (and your fat cells-a-storing!), the ingredients in traditional brownies cause an onslaught of systemic inflammation and digestive distress that last much longer than the enjoyment of your sweet treat.
(You know what’s coming next, right…)
The Paleo Brownie Reinvented: Low Glycemic + Egg Free + Nut Free
Well, after formulating many different riffs on the classic brownie, I think we hit the nail on the head. Using almond butter as the base gives these brownies an amazing chewiness that’s often lacking in the gluten-free flour-based versions.
Another benefit? If you can’t have nuts, this recipe is easily adaptable. You can use sunflower seed butter with the same great results.
And they’re egg-free too!
While they’re perfect plain or simply topped with a few dark chocolate chips, my favorite way to enjoy these brownies is with a drizzle of homemade low-sugar Paleo Caramel and some lightly toasted pecans à la “Turtle” style (drool-inducing photos above and below). Of course, using macadamia nut butter as the base with toasted coconut and chopped toasted macadamia nuts is also a delicious option.
With their rich fudgy flavor and perfect crisp-and-chewy edges, you won’t believe these brownies have just 125 calories and 2 grams of sugar a piece – and not a gram of grain.
Like your brownies BIG? No problem! Cut into 9 large brownies they’ll still have a very minimal impact on your blood sugar – with just 225 calories with 4 grams of sugar.
I hope you love these as much as we do! And if you do, please share the love with Pinterest!
- 3 Tbsp. Nutiva Organic Coconut Flour, sifted
- ¼ cup natural cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- 1 cup creamy almond butter, sunflower seed butter or macadamia nut butter (Get a FREE 16 oz. jar of Justin's Classic Almond Butter from Thrive now!)
- 1 tsp. organic vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. grass-fed gelatin
- 2 Tbsp. Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Morsels, melted
- 2 Tbsp. Navitas Naturals Organic Palm Sugar (Coconut Sugar)
- 4 Tbsp. Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Zero (Erythritol)
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 10 Tbsp. filtered water
- 1 tsp. liquid stevia (to taste)
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Line the bottom of an 8-by-8 pan with unbleached parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the coconut flour, coconut sugar, erythritol, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl, add the water and sprinkle over the gelatin. Let stand 5 minutes. Add almond butter (or “nut” butter of choice), vanilla, stevia and melted chocolate. Mix well using a hand-held mixer.
- Pour in the dry ingredients and mix well to combine.
- Spread brownie batter into prepared pan.
- Transfer to oven and bake 30-35 minutes or until edges pull away and center is set. If you like your brownies fudgy and moist inside, remove when center is still “smooshy”, at about 30 minutes.
- Place on a wire rack to cool completely, then slice into squares.
125 calories, 11 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 6 g monounsaturated fat, 2 g polyunsaturated fat, 10 g carbohydrates, 3 g sugar alcohol, 2 g sugar, 3 g protein, 2 g fiber, 81 mg sodium, 174 mg potassium
1909.88 kcal Calories, 778.52 mg Calcium, 161.35 g Carbohydrate, 0 mg Cholesterol, 145.96 g Total Fat, 50.69 g Fiber, 15.28 mg Iron, 109.14 mg Magnesium 796.52 mg Potassium, 66.93 g Protein,3.88 mcg Selenium, 1351.41 mg Sodium, 52.38 g Sugars, 1.49 mg Zinc, 23.74g Saturated fat, 0 trans Fat, 96.98 g Monounsaturated fats, 0.1 g Polyunsaturated fats, 0 IU Vitamin A, 0.03 mg Vitamin B6, 0 mcg Vitamin B12, 0 mg Vitamin C, 0 IU Vitamin D, 0.02 Vitamin E, 0.54 mcg Vitamin K, 7.48 mcg Folate,0.02 mg Vitamin B1(Thiamin),0.49 mg Vitamin B3(Niacin),0.06 mg Vitamin B2(Riboflavin), 0 mcg Lycopene, 8.17 mcg Lutein and Zeaxanthin, 0 g ALA, 0 g EPA, 0 gDHA,330.56 mg Phosphorous, 0.85 mg Manganese, 0 mcg Alpha carotene, 0 mcg Beta carotene, 0 mcg Beta cryptoxanthin, 0 g Conjugated Linolenic Acid