Fat-Burning Paleo Focaccia Bread
Paleo focaccia bread… and fat-burning too? You read that right.
If you’ve recently given up gluten, bread (or grains, in general), then you’re doing a great thing for your health.
Not only will this help keep your blood sugar levels stable, but passing on the bread basket also helps to:
- Reduce systemic inflammation
- Ease digestive issues
- Reduce bloat
- Strengthen the immune system
- Create a leaner, healthier body
But what about the cravings? You know, those times when nothing but a hot, crusty piece of bread slathered in golden butter or dipped in olive oil will do?
I had one of those times last week (and just about every week, to be honest). But I wasn’t just craving sandwich bread – I wanted herbed focaccia with all of its chewy, crusty, rustic goodness – dipped in a garlic-spiked olive oil.
So, I quickly got to work adapting one of my recipes from my book, Better Breads. Using a few simple ingredients (most of which you probably have in your pantry right now) I whipped up an impromptu, artisan loaf of Italian focaccia in about 10 minutes. The hardest part was waiting for it to bake!
The focaccia emerged from the oven crowned with a chewy, golden crust and the perfect texture for sopping up a garlicky dipping sauce and my hearty Superfood Paleo Bolognese.
Paleo Focaccia Bread: The Fat-Burning Trifecta of Ingredients
Not only will this recipe satisfy your craving for bread – but also provide you with key nutrients that stoke your metabolism and help to burn stubborn fat, including:
- Protein – This is the power nutrient that kicks up your body’s production of glucagon– a key hormone for fat-burning. And this Italian-inspired bread provides three grams of protein per serving.
- Medium Chain Triglyerides (MCTs) – Found in coconut, these amazing fatty acids are burned by the liver for energy – not stored as fat. Studies show that eating a diet rich in MCTs can boost metabolism, improve blood sugar balance, benefit heart disease and even protect against fatty liver.
- Fiber – Part of the fat-burning “trifecta” of nutrients (which also includes protein and healthy fats), fiber is an essential part of a healthy, lean-body diet. Fiber helps to stabilize blood sugar, facilitate detoxification and reduce hunger.
If all this doesn’t send you running to the kitchen, get this: This recipe is also a great source of powerful antioxidants (thanks to the herbs!). These powerful molecules supercharge your body’s ability to fend off the free radicals that contribute to physical aging and degenerative disease.
So, without further adieu, here’s my super-simple, fat-burning recipe that’s sure to make your house smell like Little Italy and put a smile on your face…
- 7 Tbsp. Let's Do Organic Creamed Coconut
- 4 Tbsp. organic virgin coconut oil
- ½ Tbsp. organic dried basil
- 10 small organic olives, sliced
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ¾ tsp. baking soda
- 5 large pastured eggs
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 5 pieces Mediterranean Organic Sundried Tomatoes
- Soften creamed coconut by placing packet in a bowl of warm water. Work with your hands to create a pourable consistency.
- Preheat oven to 300 F and lightly grease a 9” round cake pan (preferably stoneware).
- Add eggs, melted coconut oil, creamed coconut, sea salt and baking soda to a blender. Blend until very smooth (no lumps!).
- Pour batter into a medium mixing bowl and fold in herbs and olives.
- Pour into greased pan. Top with sliced sun-dried tomatoes.
- Transfer to oven and bake 40-50 minutes until golden brown and firm.
- Serve with a dipping oil made with high quality organic extra virgin olive oil, minced garlic and herbs, to taste
Paleo Focaccia Bread - Nutrition Information Per Serving
2299.99 kcal Calories, 516.36 mg Calcium, 67.21 g Carbohydrate, 1057.5 mg Cholesterol, 214.11 g Total Fat, 40.08 g Fiber, 20.2 mg Iron, 35.64 mg Magnesium 407.88 mg Potassium, 34.41 g Protein,81.81 mcg Selenium, 2474.22 mg Sodium, 20.89 g Sugars, 3.01 mg Zinc, 168.62g Saturated fat, 0 trans Fat, 29.14 g Monounsaturated fats, 4.72 g Polyunsaturated fats, 2367.53 IU Vitamin A, 0.54 mg Vitamin B6, 3.23 mcg Vitamin B12, 10.02 mg Vitamin C, 87.5 IU Vitamin D, 3.02 Vitamin E, 7.67 mcg Vitamin K, 118.64 mcg Folate,0.2 mg Vitamin B1(Thiamin),0.24 mg Vitamin B3(Niacin),1.21 mg Vitamin B2(Riboflavin), 0 mcg Lycopene, 1065.25 mcg Lutein and Zeaxanthin, 0.11 g ALA, 0.01 g EPA, 0.09 gDHA,504.26 mg Phosphorous, 0.15 mg Manganese, 0 mcg Alpha carotene, 143.23 mcg Beta carotene, 25.89 mcg Beta cryptoxanthin, 0 g Conjugated Linolenic Acid
- No Fish
- No Red Meat
- No Pork
- No Shellfish
- No Gluten
- No Seeds
- No Soy
- No Dairy
- No Poultry
- No Corn
- No Yeast
- No Peanuts
- No Grains
- No Molds
- No Legumes
- No Citrus