Paleo Taco Salad (in 15 Minutes Flat!)
Growing up, one of my favorite things to order at a Mexican restaurant was a big taco salad.
You know the kind – smothered in shredded cheese and sour cream and served in a huge, deep-fried taco shell bowl.
And while they may taste delicious, most taco salads are far from healthy.
In fact a Taco Bell Fiesta Taco Salad with Beef contains:
- Nearly 800 calories
- 42 grams of fat (the majority of which is the inflammatory omega 6 variety)
- 2260 mg sodium (from bleached refined salt, not mineral-rich sea salt)
- 68 g carbohydrates
… not to mention the “hidden” ingredients like acrylamide, GMOs, hormones, pesticides and other health-harming substances.
Creating a Healthy Paleo Taco Salad
But here’s the good news.
You can still enjoy the wonderful flavors of a taco salad without compromising your health.
In fact, what most of us love about a taco salad isn’t the taco – it’s the unique combination of spiced meat… the vibrant cilantro… and the not-so-subtle kick of jalepeno and lime juice that make this dish so crave-worthy.
And what about the crunch? A small handful of toasted pumpkin seeds makes the perfect nutrient-rich stand-in for the taco shell.
- 1 lb. grass-fed ground beef
- ½ Tbsp. garlic powder
- ½ Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. cumin powder
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 8 cups organic spinach
- 2 medium avocados, diced
- 20 rings organic pickled jalapenos
- 20 brined black olives, sliced
- 8 Tbsp. organic salsa
- Heat a safe nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and cook, stirring occasionally until cooked through. Drain.
- Return to heat. Stir in the salt, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin powder and dried oregano. Heat over low heat.
- Meanwhile, prepare the salads. Divide spinach among plates and top with onion, avocado, olives and jalapeños, leaving room in the center for the meat and salsa.
- Scoop out the taco meat and place a mound in the center of each salad.
- Top with salsa and drizzle with Cumin-Lime Vinaigrette or Cilantro Vinaigrette.
1823.07 kcal Calories, 527.29 mg Calcium, 84.1 g Carbohydrate, 281.48 mg Cholesterol, 126.25 g Total Fat, 41.05 g Fiber, 24.77 mg Iron, 441.25 mg Magnesium 5091.71 mg Potassium, 107.24 g Protein,71.88 mcg Selenium, 3088.55 mg Sodium, 18.91 g Sugars, 25.49 mg Zinc, 34.13g Saturated fat, 3.41 trans Fat, 66.45 g Monounsaturated fats, 11.54 g Polyunsaturated fats, 26508.5 IU Vitamin A, 2.64 mg Vitamin B6, 8.94 mcg Vitamin B12, 155.77 mg Vitamin C, 0 IU Vitamin D, 18.16 Vitamin E, 1285.57 mcg Vitamin K, 861.89 mcg Folate,0.81 mg Vitamin B1(Thiamin),24.34 mg Vitamin B3(Niacin),1.78 mg Vitamin B2(Riboflavin), 0.84 mcg Lycopene, 31073 mcg Lutein and Zeaxanthin, 1.41 g ALA, 0 g EPA, 0 gDHA,1211.48 mg Phosphorous, 3.35 mg Manganese, 196.72 mcg Alpha carotene, 15178.8 mcg Beta carotene, 297.4 mcg Beta cryptoxanthin, 0.49 g Conjugated Linolenic Acid