With their crispy exterior and rich, creamy interior, even hard-core fried oyster lovers will swoon over this better-for-you makeover!
Made with clean-sourced oysters (discover the many health benefits of oysters here and the specific kind to choose), a grain-free combination of coconut flour and arrowroot flour, and gently pan fried in avocado oil, our healthy take on this classic will satisfy even die-hard fried oyster fans.
Serve with lemon wedges and a simple remoulade made with Primal Kitchen avocado oil mayo (this is our absolute favorite healthy mayo) for a comfort food elevated to superfood status.
- 24 ounces clean-sourced oysters
- ½ cup tapioca flour or arrowroot flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne (optional)
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika (optional)
- 2 pastured eggs
- ¼ cup avocado oil + ¼ cup coconut oil or pastured tallow (you want 1” of oil in the pan)
- Lemon wedges
- Rinse shucked oysters and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk to combine the arrowroot, coconut flour, sea salt and spices.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs until frothy.
- Add fats to a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Bring to 325 F.
- Dip oysters in eggs, then coat well in the flour mixture.
- Place coated oysters in the preheated oil. Be careful not to crowd the pan.
- Cook until golden. Then flip and cook until the outside is crisp and lightly brown. Oysters should be cooked to an internal temperature of 140 F to reduce the risk of foodborne illness.
- Serve immediately with lemon wedges and Paleo remoulade.
176 calories, 9 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 5 g monounsaturated fat, 2 g polyunsaturated fat, 95 mg cholesterol, 13 g carbohydrate, 0 g sugar, 2 g fiber, 10 g protein
Bonus Nutrients per Serving
368 mg EPA, 215 mg DHA, 13.6 mcg vitamin B12 (227%), 68.7 mcg selenium (98%), 14.1 mg zinc (94%)
NOTE – Because the oysters in this recipe will only absorb about 2-3 Tbsp. of oil, the nutrition information has been calculated using the estimated oil absorbed, not the amount called for in cooking.