When you think of getting more omega-3 fats in your diet, eating fish like tuna and wild salmon might come to mind.
But there’s a healthier and more sustainable way to get your fill of these good-for-you fats: eat Atlantic mackerel.
Like sardines, anchovies, and herring, Atlantic mackerel is a little fish with big health benefits. In addition to being loaded with omega-3’s (1,401 mg per 2.5 oz serving), Atlantic mackerel is also high in protein and rich in coenzyme Q10 – a powerful antioxidant that helps your body produce energy.
And unlike large king mackerel and Spanish mackerel (which should be avoided!), Atlantic mackerel are small fish with very low risk of environmental contaminants (including mercury and dioxins).
You can buy canned Atlantic mackerel in most grocery and health food stores. Or consider buying from Vital Choice, which offers their product in BPA-free cans. Try adding these delicious fish to salads and antipasto (see the recipe below), savor them with grain-free crackers and a sliver of cheese… or eat them right out of the can.
No matter how you choose to enjoy Atlantic mackerel, the power-packed nutrition will give you a healthy boost of energy and provide you with important nutrients for lifelong health.
Quick Mackerel Antipasto Recipe
- 2 cans Vital Choice Mackerel in Olive Oil, drained
- ½ jar Mediterranean Organic Fire Roasted Red Peppers, sliced
- 3 ounces Mediterranean Organic Pitted Kalamata Olives
- 1 can Native Forest Artichoke Hearts, drained
- Toss olives, artichoke hearts and red peppers.
- Top with mackerel.
- Serve with grain free crackers (try Go Raw Sunflower Flax Snacks).