Melt-in-Your-Mouth, Duck Fat Braised Pork Sirloin Roast (UPDATED with Instant Pot Version) - Original
4 h 40 mins
- 1 4lb. pasture-raised pork sirloin
- 1 Tbsp. dried rosemary
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. fennel seeds
- 2 tsp. fine sea salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. pastured duck fat (or coconut oil, tallow or pork lard)
- 3 cups organic chicken stock
- ½ cup dry white wine (or lemon juice)
- In a blender or magic bullet, grind the fennel, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper to a fine powder.
- Place pork sirloin roast on a large piece of cellophane. Sprinkle seasoning all over and rub into the meat. Wrap in cellophane and refrigerate six hours to overnight to infuse with flavor.
- Remove pork from cellophane and cut into large chunks (3 ounces each).
- Heat the duck fat in a large Dutch oven.* When the fat shimmers, add pork chunks in batches. Do NOT crowd the pan – this will result in steaming, not searing. Sear two minutes per side. Transfer seared pork to a plate and continue with the remaining pork.
- Add all of the seared pork back to the Dutch oven and turn heat down to low or simmer. Add the stock and the wine. Stir with a wooden spoon to deglaze the pot. The liquids should come just up to the halfway point of the meat. Cover and simmer, undisturbed, for three hours.
Nutrition & Macronutrient Ratio
If you don’t have a Dutch oven, use a slow cooker for step two of the braising. Simply sear the meat in a sauté pan or skillet, and then transfer the seared meat to the ceramic insert of your slow cooker. Add the broth and wine to the sauté pan to scrape up the fond (or brown bits) from the sautéing step, then pour over the meat in the slow cooker. Typically the “high” setting on a slow cooker translates to about 195 degrees. This may mean you will need to cook the pork sirloin roast longer than if you used a true Dutch oven, but the end result of both cooking methods will be moist and fork tender.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
319 calories, 16 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 7 g monounsaturated fat, 2 g polyunsaturated fat, 120 mg cholesterol, 2 g carbohydrate, 2 g NET carbs, 0 g sugar alcohols, 0.3 g sugar, 0.5 g fiber, 39 g protein, 746 mg potassium, 418 mg phosphorous, 579 mg sodium, 51 mg magnesium
47 % FAT | 51 % PROTEIN | 2% CARBOHYDRATE