Smoky Bison Stuffed Spaghetti Squash (Paleo + Low Carb) - Original
1 h 20 mins
- 1 small (2 lb) spaghetti squash
- 1 pound grass-fed bison
- 1 Tbsp. virgin coconut oil or tallow
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups organic spinach, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh rosemary, minced
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 Tbsp. organic tomato paste
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds
- First, cook the spaghetti squash. Preheat oven to 375 F. Wash the spaghetti squash and use a fork to poke several holes in the outside. Place spaghetti squash on a baking sheet and roast 45-50 minutes. The squash is done once you can pierce through the skin easily with a small paring knife. Set aside to cool.
- In a large safe non-stick skillet, add the coconut oil and heat over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute 2 minutes to translucent. Add the bison and cook, stirring, for 8-10 minutes. Add the smoked paprika, fennel seeds, salt, pepper and rosemary and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for another 5 minutes to allow flavors to deepen. Stir in tomato paste, spinach and ¼ cup water. Turn heat to low, cover and simmer to let thicken.
- Halve spaghetti squash. Scoop out seeds. Using a fork, scrape out strands of spaghetti squash to make a “nest” of squash noodles. Top with meat mixture and serve.