Dark Chocolate & Raw Nuts Recipe Print Prep time 5 mins Cook time 5 mins Total time 10 mins Serves: 4 3.2.2925 … [Read more...]
What is Mold-Free Food?
If you have allergies to molds, you may experience a negative reaction to foods containing mold spores.
Many foods, like blue cheese, for example, contain high levels of mold (either Penicillium roquefourti or Penicillium glaucum).
Food Sources of Mold
The common food sources of mold include:
- Vinegar and foods containing vinegar, such as salad dressing, catsup, and pickles
- Sour cream, sour milk, and buttermilk
- Meat or fish more than 24 hours old
- Breads and other food made with yeast
- Pickled and smoked meats and fish
- Dried fruits such as dates, prunes, figs, and raisins
- Soy sauce
- Hot dogs, sausages
- Canned juices
When Mold is Dangerous to Your Health
While most molds pose little issue for most individuals, some forms of mold are highly toxic and produce cancer-causing compounds called mycotoxins.
The most notable of the mycotoxins is aflatoxin, which has been found to cause liver cancer.