When you think of a burger, lamb may not immediately come to mind. But it should! Not only does lamb make for a moist and juicy burger. It's packed with nutrition too. Lamb Burgers: The "Supermeat" You're Not Eating In fact, just four ounces of lamb provides an excellent source of five key nutrients - including 49% of the RDA for cancer-fighting selenium and 41% of the RDA for heart-healthy … [Read more...]
Simple and Delicious Sugar-Free Recipes
If you’ve made it to this page – congratulations! You already know that it’s important to eat less sugar, especially if you want to maintain a healthy weight. But what you may not know is this: The amount of sugar in your diet is directly related to your risk for nearly every chronic disease.
That’s because sugar promotes the five key causes of disease – inflammation, glycation, toxification, depletion and oxidation.
Why More Sugar Equals Less Life
Let’s take a quick look at the damage this not-so-sweet substance can have on your health:
- Inflammation: After eating a sugary or high glycemic food, your blood sugar rises. This triggers the release of inflammatory compounds called cytokines, including C-reactive protein – an inflammatory factor related to cancer, diabetes and heart disease. The more sugar you eat, the more inflammation you’ll have.
- Physical Aging: Sugar is sticky, right? As sugar flows through your bloodstream, it sticks to your red blood cells through a process called glycation. These molecules damage collagen and other connective tissue that gives us a youthful appearance.
- Cancer: High blood sugar requires the body to call on insulin to shuttle sugar out of the blood and into the muscles (and then fat cells). Insulin is a key promoter of the most common cancers including breast cancer, colon cancer and prostate cancer. Sugar also damages cells through oxidation, which can encourage cancerous mutations.
- Alzheimer’s: Eating a high sugar diet promotes the formation of amyloid plaque – a substance that’s associated with memory loss and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Diabetes: As you tax your body with sugar, you force it to crank out more and more insulin. Over time, the beta-cells of your pancreas simply wear out and can no longer do their job anymore.
- Obesity: Insulin is known as the fat storage hormone. More sugar in your food = more sugar in your blood = higher insulin levels = more fat stored on your body.
- Heart Disease: Eating high sugar foods increases your risk for heart disease in several ways. High blood sugar increases blood pressure. That’s because insulin causes the kidneys to retain sodium. High blood sugar levels also oxidize LDL cholesterol, reduce protective HDL cholesterol, raise triglycerides and cause your platelets to become “sticky”, increasing the risk of a dangerous clot. High blood sugar also increases an inflammatory factor called C-reactive protein which is an independent risk factor for heart disease.
- Digestive Health: Sugar in the diet feeds the growth of candida, a fungus that normally lives inside of our digestive tract symbiotically with other microorganisms. When candida gets out of control, it can cause a wide range of digestive and systemic effects. As candida feed on sugar they release toxic waste products into your body that can cause foggy thinking, concentration problems, memory issues and more.
- Vision Problems: High blood sugar damages the microcapillaries in the eyes, leading to cataracts and peripheral blindness.
- Infertility: High blood sugar contributes to insulin resistance – which is the primary cause of ovulatory infertility – Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS).
If that doesn’t sour your sweet tooth, I don’t know what will!
Enjoy Sweet Treats That are Low Sugar and Sugar-Free!
But before you go into a panic thinking your days of decadent desserts and sweet treats are over, get this: You can enjoy your favorite sweet foods without relying on sugar or artificial sweeteners thanks to all natural, zero calorie, zero glycemic sweeteners that have NO impact on blood sugar.
In our Sugar Free Recipes section, you’ll find delicious, recipes containing 1 gram of sugar or less per serving that won’t sour your health.
To learn more about the benefits of a low sugar diet, check out our diabetes diet section.
Healthy Frappuccinos (Sugar Free, Dairy Free) Recipe Print Prep time 15 mins Cook time 90 mins Total time 1 hour 45 mins Serves: 2 Ingredients 2 c. Pacific Organic Unsweetened Almond Milk (Plain) 2 tsp. instant coffee 0.0625 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt ½ tsp. organic vanilla extract ½ Tbsp. Navitas Naturals Original Raw Chia Seeds 10 drops SweetLeaf® … [Read more...]
This delicious Paleo mayonnaise is a snap to make. Plus its a delicious way to add flavor and healthy fats to all of your Paleo meals. Paleo Mayonnaise - Bring Out The Best! Store-bought mayonnaise is inevitably made with soybean and canola oils. Not only are these oils highly refined (and usually genetically modified), they are also extremely high in omega-6 fats. Think organic or vegan-mayo … [Read more...]
Homemade Truffles (Dairy Free, Low Sugar) Recipe Print Prep time 60 mins Cook time 60 mins Total time 2 hours Serves: 12 Ingredients 12 Tbsp. organic heavy cream or full fat coconut cream 0.125 tsp. ground cardamom 8 oz. Dagoba Unsweetened Organic Baking Chocolate 4 Tbsp. Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Zero ¼ c. organic cocoa powder ½ c. organic … [Read more...]
Homemade Waffle Cones (Sugar Free) Recipe Print Prep time 25 mins Cook time 25 mins Total time 50 mins Serves: 6 Ingredients ½ tsp. organic vanilla extract 1 Tbsp. Navitas Naturals Original Raw Chia Seeds 4 Tbsp. Bob's Red Mill Tapioca Flour 2 large large egg whites 4 Tbsp. virgin coconut oil, melted 4 Tbsp. Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Zero 0.125 tsp. … [Read more...]
Chocolate Icing (Sugar Free, Dairy Free) Recipe Print Prep time 15 mins Cook time 720 mins Total time 12 hours 15 mins Serves: 16 Ingredients 5 Tbsp. unsweetened organic cocoa powder ½ tsp. pure vanilla extract 6 drops stevia, more or less to taste 28 Tbsp. Native Forest Organic Classic Coconut Milk Instructions Put the coconut milk in a bowl and … [Read more...]
Paleo Breakfast Popovers Recipe Print Prep time 15 mins Cook time 45 mins Total time 1 hour Serves: 6 Ingredients 4 large pastured eggs 8 Tbsp. Native Forest Organic Classic Coconut Milk ¼ tsp. Celtic Sea Salt 2 Tbsp. Bob’s Red Mill Organic Coconut Flour Instructions Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Put all ingredients in a bowl and stir until … [Read more...]
Homemade Magic Shell Recipe Print Prep time 10 mins Cook time 10 mins Total time 20 mins Serves: 16 Ingredients ¼ tsp. Celtic Sea Salt 6 Tbsp. organic cocoa powder 10 drops liquid stevia (to taste) 6 Tbsp. organic virgin coconut oil 4 Tbsp. Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Zero Instructions In a small saucepan, melt coconut oil. Stir in cocoa, … [Read more...]
Homemade Peanut Butter Cups I Recipe Print Prep time 10 mins Cook time 60 mins Total time 1 hour 10 mins Serves: 16 Ingredients 6 Tbsp. unsweetened organic cocoa powder 0.125 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt 1⅓ Tbsp. Navitas Naturals Organic Palm Sugar 3 Tbsp. virgin coconut oil ½ tsp. vanilla extract 3 Tbsp. Maranatha Natural Peanut Butter - with Salt … [Read more...]