This delicious Paleo mayonnaise is a snap to make. Plus its a delicious way to add flavor and healthy fats to all of your Paleo meals. Paleo Mayonnaise - Bring Out The Best! Store-bought mayonnaise is inevitably made with soybean and canola oils. Not only are these oils highly refined (and usually genetically modified), they are also extremely high in omega-6 fats. Think organic or vegan-mayo … [Read more...]
Low Fat Recipes
Do you think relying on low fat recipes can reverse heart disease, cure cancer, prevent Alzheimer’s or help you lose weight?
If so, think again.
Research shows it is not the amount of fat, but rather the type of fat, that matters for our health and our waistlines.
The Dangers of Relying on Low Fat Recipes
In fact, relying on low fat recipes and eating a low fat diet can have a number of harmful health effects:
- Eating Low Fat Can Hurt Your Heart: Low fat diets have actually been shown to increase bad cholesterol and reduce good cholesterol1
- Your Brain is 80% Fat: Eating low fat can lead to depression by impairing serotonin receptors2. Low fat diets can also impair memory. That’s because a low fat diet causes a shortage of choline and serine that are used by the brain to manufacture memory-related neurotransmitters3,4,5
- Fats are Metabolic Messengers: Fats are building blocks for cell membranes, precursors for a variety of hormones and are required to absorb vital nutrients.
- Healthy Fats Help Your Body Burn Fat: The “good fats” like those in nuts, avocados, olive oil and fish influence your body’s fat-burning by turning on genes that stoke metabolism.
- Healthy Fats Reduce Inflammation: Omega-3 fats (found primarily in cold water fish, as well as flaxseed, walnuts and chia) as well as monounsaturated fats (found in avocados, nuts, olive oil) help reduce inflammation in the body linked with heart disease, cancer, Alzheimer’s disease and more.
- Low Fat = High Carb: A diet that is low fat is typically high in carbohydrate. A high carb, high glycemic diet is linked with obesity, diabetes, cancer, heart disease, memory impairment, fertility problems and more.
- Fat is Satiating: Fat slows gastric emptying which helps to keep you feeling full longer.
- Our Ancestors Consumed up to 50% Fat: Good fats are a vital component of the healthy diet required by our genes.
Low Fat Versus Good Fat
Healing Gourmet does not promote a low fat diet. That’s because healthy fats are absolutely essential to your well-being. We do realize, however, that a low fat diet is required for certain medical conditions and have created this Low Fat Recipes section with those people in mind.
All recipes in this section are:
- LOW FAT: Contain less than 3 grams of fat per serving
To learn more about fats and their importance in your diet, sign up for our newsletter!
1. Arteriosclerosis Thrombotic Vascular Biology March 2004;24(3):498-503
Cinnamon Apple Muffins Recipe Print Prep time 10 mins Cook time 30 mins Total time 40 mins Serves: 12 Ingredients 2 medium organic apples, peeled, cored and chopped 3 large pastured eggs 4 Tbsp. Native Forest Organic Classic Coconut Milk 1 tsp. lemon juice ½ tsp. non-aluminum baking powder ½ c. water 4 Tbsp. Bob’s Red Mill Organic Coconut Flour 1 … [Read more...]
Blueberry Syrup Recipe Print Prep time 15 mins Cook time 15 mins Total time 30 mins Serves: 16 Ingredients 1 c. water 2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup 2 Tbsp. arrowroot powder 1 c. organic blueberries Instructions Put the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour the liquid into a saucepan and heat over medium heat until the mixture begins to bubble … [Read more...]
Gingerbread Fudge (Low Sugar) Recipe Print Prep time 10 mins Cook time 10 mins Total time 20 mins Serves: 80 Ingredients 24 Tbsp. Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Zero 8 Tbsp. Navitas Naturals Organic Palm Sugar ¼ c. molasses ½ tsp. cream of tartar 8 oz. Dagoba Unsweetened Organic Baking Chocolate 1 tsp. cinnamon ½ tsp. ginger ¼ tsp. … [Read more...]
If you’re concerned about your health, you’re probably already avoiding added sugars in foods like candy bars, sodas and desserts. But sugar lurks somewhere else that you may not realize: Condiments. And the worst of these is barbeque sauce. Low Carb Paleo Barbecue Sauce: An Oxymoron? In fact, most commercial brands of BBQ sauce have as much as 120 calories and 30 grams of sugar per … [Read more...]
Gluten Free Low Carb Gravy Recipe Print Prep time 15 mins Cook time 15 mins Total time 30 mins Serves: 10 Ingredients 1 Tbsp. grass-fed butter ½ tsp. dried sage ½ tsp. Celtic sea salt 3 c. Imagine Organic Free Range Chicken Broth 2 c. Pacific Organic Unsweetened Almond Milk (Plain) Pacific Organic Almond Milk ½ tsp. dried rosemary ½ … [Read more...]
Forget the high-fructose syrup-laden, canned and contaminated cranberries! You can bring this fresh, tangy, wholesome, low glycemic cranberry sauce to your table this Thanksgiving or any time of the year!) with just a few minutes of prep time. And while most cranberry sauce has 20 grams of sugar and 86 calories per serving, this just-as-sweet sauce has a mere 2 grams and only 18 calories. Low … [Read more...]
Slow Cooker Herb Chicken Recipe Print Prep time 20 mins Cook time 480 mins Total time 8 hours 20 mins Serves: 4 Ingredients ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper 2 -8oz. breasts pasture-raised chicken 1 tsp. fresh thyme 10 pearl onions, peeled ½ tsp. Celtic sea salt 1 c. Imagine Organic Free Range Chicken Broth 1 whole organic bay leaf … [Read more...]
Sautéed Kale Recipe Print Prep time 10 mins Cook time 10 mins Total time 20 mins Serves: 4 Ingredients 4 c. chopped organic kale 3 cloves organic garlic, finely chopped ½ c. organic vegetable broth Instructions Add broth and garlic to a large skillet. Heat over medium high. Add kale and saute 5-7 minutes until bright green and crisp tender. … [Read more...]
Chocolate Covered Cherry Smoothie (Dairy Free) Recipe Print Prep time 5 mins Cook time 5 mins Total time 10 mins Serves: 1 Ingredients 1 Scoop Jay Robb Chocolate Egg White Protein ¼ c. Cascadian Farm Organic Cherries 2 tsp. organic cocoa powder ½ c. filtered or spring water Instructions Add all ingredients to a high speed blender or Vitamix. … [Read more...]