The Dangers of Soy Formula
In a recent post, we let you in on one of the dirty secrets of the soy industry – the use of the dangerous chemical hexane in the extraction process.
And if you think you’re not eating soy, you might be surprised. This cheap protein is packed into everything from “health food” bars, burritos and smoothies, to sauces, pizzas and other packaged foods.
These foods may send us to an early grave… but where we really should be looking is the cradle.
In fact, baby food formulas made from soy (and most of them are) may be one of the worst things we can do for the long-term health of our babies and children.
And even if you don’t have a baby, surely you have grandchildren, nieces, nephews or friends who need the information in this letter. We hope you’ll pass this along to those you care about.
8 Reasons To Avoid Soy Formula
Here are eight reasons why you should NEVER put a baby on soy infant formula:
- Caustic Chemicals: Soy protein isolate is the primary ingredient in soy formulas. Unless it is listed as organic, this ingredient is treated with caustic hexane.
- Exposure to GMOs: Almost all soy is genetically modified, which can cause allergies and problems with DNA that we are only beginning to discover. But even if you choose organic soy formula (like Earth’s Best), the issues below still remain as health concerns.
- Estrogen Exposure: It is estimated that infants fed exclusively soy-based formula receive the estrogenic equivalent (on a body weight basis) of FIVE birth control pills… DAILY!
- Proper Growth & Development: Soy is high in anti-nutrients, known as phytates. These molecules actually block the uptake of essential minerals. For this reason, soy formulas have been known to cause a zinc deficiency in infants. Zinc is essential for normal growth and development.
- Lower IQ: Soy formulas do not have lactose, which is broken down into glucose and galactose. Galactose is valuable for brain development. Anthropologists have demonstrated that the more intelligent species of mammals have greater amounts of lactose in their milk, and human breast milk contains one of the highest concentrations of lactose. Soy-based formulas contain table sugar and corn syrup instead.
- Brain Function: Soy formulas lack cholesterol. This is a required ingredient for making myelin – the fatty sheath surrounding nerve fibers. Myelin makes it possible for nerves to carry information from one part of the brain or body to another.
- Thyroid Function: Soy contains goitrogens. These are chemicals that can impair thyroid function. The thyroid affects weight, metabolism, mood and the functioning of other endocrine organs.
- Exposure to Heavy Metals: The aluminum content of soy formula is 10 times greater than milk-based formula and 100 times greater than unprocessed milk. The toxic effects of aluminum range from kidney failure in infants to Alzheimer’s in adults.
When it comes to baby food, the breast is always the best (so long as mom is consuming a healthy diet). If someone you love is feeding their baby soy formula, please pass this important information on. You just might save a life.