Spicy Sweet Potato Chips
Are you a potato chip lover? Beware of acrylamide – a powerful cancer-causing substance found in carb-rich foods. Because acrylamide formation increases with heat, as much as possible you should avoid carbohydrates that are fried and even those that are baked at high temperature.
And when you do cook with heat, always choose a stable saturated or monounsaturated fat with a high flash point (like Olivado Avocado Oil) to guard against the formation of lipid oxidation products (LOPs).
This simple and delicious sweet potato chip recipe uses lower temperatures with heat-stable oil, so you can enjoy the crunch you crave… and stay healthy too!
Rosemary is a natural acrylamide antidote. In fact, recent research published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry found that adding a small amount of rosemary to dough prior to baking at 225 C (437 F) reduced the acrylamide content by up to 60%!
- 1 tsp. fresh organic rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. organic avocado oil (try Olivado)
- 2 medium organic sweet potatoes, thinly sliced (1/8 in)
- ¼ tsp. organic cayenne pepper (to taste)
- ½ tsp. Celtic sea salt
- Slice potatoes to approximately ⅛ in thick. Soak in cold, purified water for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix oil, rosemary, cayenne and sea salt in a small bowl.
- Drain potatoes and pat dry. Place sliced potatoes in a large bowl, drizzle dressing over and mix well to coat thoroughly.
- Place slices in a single layer on the top rack of your Flavorwave or NuWave oven.
- Cook at 300 F for 20 minutes or just until lightly golden.
350.26 kcal Calories, 82.63 mg Calcium, 52.8 g Carbohydrate, 0 mg Cholesterol, 14.27 g Total Fat, 8.08 g Fiber, 1.7 mg Iron, 66.7 mg Magnesium 893.19 mg Potassium, 4.18 g Protein,1.61 mcg Selenium, 1306.15 mg Sodium, 10.92 g Sugars, 0.8 mg Zinc, 1.71g Saturated fat, 0 trans Fat, 9.91 g Monounsaturated fats, 1.98 g Polyunsaturated fats, 37123.5 IU Vitamin A, 0.56 mg Vitamin B6, 0 mcg Vitamin B12, 6.84 mg Vitamin C, 0 IU Vitamin D, 0.83 Vitamin E, 5.08 mcg Vitamin K, 30.22 mcg Folate,0.2 mg Vitamin B1(Thiamin),1.46 mg Vitamin B3(Niacin),0.16 mg Vitamin B2(Riboflavin), 0 mcg Lycopene, 65.78 mcg Lutein and Zeaxanthin, 0.14 g ALA, 0 g EPA, 0 gDHA,124.33 mg Phosphorous, 0.69 mg Manganese, 18.2 mcg Alpha carotene, 22232.6 mcg Beta carotene, 31.26 mcg Beta cryptoxanthin, 0 g Conjugated Linolenic Acid
- No Corn
- No Yeast
- No Peanuts
- No Tubers
- No Grains
- No Molds
- No Legumes
- No Citrus
- No Fish
- No Red Meat
- No Pork
- No Eggs
- No Shellfish
- No Gluten
- No Nuts
- No Seeds
- No Soy
- No Dairy
- No Poultry