Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies
Looking for a recipe for chewy Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies? You’ve come to the right place.
Over the last few months or so, we have been busy in the test kitchen updating and expanding the recipes and information in Guilt Free Desserts. I will be sharing that with you soon…
For now though, I wanted to share a super-simple, rich and delicious Paleo chocolate chip cookies recipe that I think you’ll love.
For many people (myself included), few sweet treats are as nostalgic as the chocolate chip cookie.
With their moist chewy center, golden-crisp edges and sweet molten chocolate chips, this All-American cookie is arguably comfort food at its best.
But unfortunately, traditional chocolate chip cookies are anything but good when it comes to your health.
With cups and cups of refined white flour, gluten, sugar (and more sugar!), as well as harmful ingredients like hydrogenated oils, artificial flavors, and preservatives, regularly indulging in this seemingly innocent treat will put you on the fast track to weight gain and poor health.
And how about Paleo cookies made with honey or maple syrup? Are they any better? Not by much.
While removing inflammatory grains and gluten is a step in the right direction, honey-and-maple syrup based treats are very high in the most dangerous form of sugar: Fructose. (Learn more about the dangers of fructose here.)
But not these…
Healthy Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies with Almond Butter (or Macadamia Nut Butter or SunButter)
Made with almond butter (no flours) and dark chocolate chips, these cookies are SO easy to make.
And in the recipe below, I’ve shared two alternatives for sweetening. Either way, the results are a chewy and delicious cookie with less than 5 grams of sugar (that’s also high in vitamin E and a good source of magnesium!).
To enjoying sweet treats that won’t sour your health!
- 1 cup creamy almond butter
- 1 pastured egg + 1 egg yolk
- 4 Tbsp. coconut sugar
- 6 Tbsp. non-GMO erythritol
- 2 tsp. organic vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 4 Tbsp. Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Morsels or 85% dark chocolate bar, chopped
- Flaky sea salt (such as Maldon) for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg and egg yolk together.
- In a medium bowl, add the almond butter, coconut sugar, erythritol, baking soda, vanilla and salt.
- Pour in the whisked egg and stir well to combine.
- Fold in the chocolate and stir to incorporate.
- Using a tablespoon or a cookie scoop, drop 1 Tbsp. balls onto the lined cookie sheet. Leave 2 inches of space as they will spread quite a bit.
- Transfer to oven and bake 9-11 minutes or until edges just start to brown.
- Remove from oven, let cookies cool on pan for 5 minutes, and sprinkle with Maldon, if using.
- Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Nutrition Information Per Serving (Coconut Sugar/Erythritol Blend)
169 calories, 14 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 8 g monounsaturated fat, 3 g polyunsaturated fat, 35 mg cholesterol, 16 g carbohydrate, 5 g sugar, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein
Nutrition Information Per Serving (All Erythritol)
162 calories, 14 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 8 g monounsaturated fat, 3 g polyunsaturated fat, 35 mg cholesterol, 20 g carbohydrate, 3 g sugar, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein