“Cornbread” and Sage Paleo Stuffing
This grain free, gluten free, Paleo stuffing (inspired by our Healthy Better Than Corn Bread recipe) will give you the crisp, golden goodness (and soft crumbly interior) reminiscent of childhood Thanksgivings.
But while traditional stuffing contains upwards of 400 calories and 44 carbs per serving, this delicious dish has just 7 carbs and only 186 calories… plus 7 grams of protein per serving!
Easy & Delicious Variations on Paleo Stuffing
For a hearty Sausage, Cranberry & “Cornbread” Stuffing add: 1/2 pound sweet Italian turkey sausage, crumbled and browned + 1 cup dried unsweetened organic cranberries
For Pear, Proscuitto & “Cornbread” Stuffing add: 4 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced, cut into ribbons + 2 Bosc pears, ripe but firm, chopped + 1/3 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 10 large eggs
- ½ tsp. Celtic Sea Salt
- 10 Tbsp. grass-fed butter, melted
- 1 large organic onion, finely chopped
- 1 whole organic leek, finely chopped
- 3 stalks organic celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 tsp. dried sage
- ½ tsp. non-aluminum baking powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, minced
- 11 Tbsp. Bob’s Red Mill Organic Coconut Flour
- 2 c. Imagine Organic Free Range Chicken Broth
- First, make the “cornbread”. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Whisk together the coconut flour, ½ tsp. salt, and baking powder.
- Melt ½ cup butter.
- In a medium bowl, beat eight eggs. Whisk in the melted butter.
- Add the coconut flour mixture to the egg/butter mixture and stir to combine.
- Divide the batter among 12 greased muffin cups. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool slightly.
- Cut the corn muffins into ½ inch cubes. Spread the cubes and crumbs evenly in a single layer on unbleached parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. Transfer to oven and bake at 250 degrees for one hour to dry and crisp.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Melt remaining 2 Tbsp. butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, leek, and celery, and saute until soft and translucent. Add the garlic, sage and thyme and cook for a minute longer. Remove from heat and stir in the parsley.
- Grease a 13"x9" pan. Add the muffin cubes and the celery mixture, including the pan juices.
- Beat the two remaining eggs and combine with chicken broth. Pour over the bread mixture. Gently combine ingredients with your hands, ensuring bread cubes are coated with liquid.
- Transfer to oven and bake uncovered for 45 minutes to one hour, or until top is golden and crisp.
2236.06 kcal Calories, 679.89 mg Calcium, 81.41 g Carbohydrate, 2426 mg Cholesterol, 175.24 g Total Fat, 34.73 g Fiber, 15.97 mg Iron, 131.7 mg Magnesium 1717.14 mg Potassium, 81.61 g Protein,162.85 mcg Selenium, 1988.47 mg Sodium, 20.69 g Sugars, 6.46 mg Zinc, 98.72g Saturated fat, 0 trans Fat, 48.6 g Monounsaturated fats, 11.42 g Polyunsaturated fats, 8846.07 IU Vitamin A, 1.31 mg Vitamin B6, 6.45 mcg Vitamin B12, 40.23 mg Vitamin C, 253.4 IU Vitamin D, 9.48 Vitamin E, 254.39 mcg Vitamin K, 382.4 mcg Folate,0.52 mg Vitamin B1(Thiamin),1.6 mg Vitamin B3(Niacin),2.6 mg Vitamin B2(Riboflavin), 0 mcg Lycopene, 4153.8 mcg Lutein and Zeaxanthin, 0.74 g ALA, 0.02 g EPA, 0.19 gDHA,1275.16 mg Phosphorous, 1.13 mg Manganese, 0 mcg Alpha carotene, 2017.82 mcg Beta carotene, 47.18 mcg Beta cryptoxanthin, 0.37 g Conjugated Linolenic Acid
- No Fish
- No Red Meat
- No Pork
- No Shellfish
- No Gluten
- No Seeds
- No Soy
- No Yeast
- No Peanuts
- No Grains
- No Molds
- No Legumes
- No Nightshade
- No Citrus