Sugar – in any form – increases blood sugar levels. This has many health ramifications:
- Increases insulin -the “fat storage” hormone
- Increases appetite
- Creates Advanced Glycation Endproducts (AGEs)
- Stimulates the growth of cancer cells
- Increases LDL or “bad” cholesterol
- Makes blood cells “sticky” and likely to clot
- Increases free radical damage
- Increases inflammation
- Increases homocysteine
- Damages microcapillaries in the eyes
As you can see, the amount of sugar in your diet increases your risk for nearly every chronic disease.
Dr. Loren Cordain, author of “The Paleo Diet” and professor at Colorado State, recently evaluated the rise in sugar consumption and its implications for health. Our hunter/gatherer ancestors ate a mere 20 teaspoons of sugar per year. However, the annual consumption of sugar in the U.S. is 158 pounds or approximately 50 teaspoons each day.
Savor Your Health! The recipes and menus you’ll find at Healing Gourmet have 15 grams of sugar or less. Get on the healthy track today and reduce your risk of obesity and chronic disease by enjoying our low-glycemic, whole-foods creations.